The paper was originally published out of 1605 McElderry Street, a location which today has been swallowed by the John Hopkins University campus. In 1898, the paper moved to an address on Courtland Street between Saratoga and Lexington Streets. By the end of the century it had moved again - to a location at 307 St. Paul Street, which the paper described as "more favorable and inviting than before."
The address was close to a row of houses on the 300 block of Saint Paul Place erected following the War of 1812, which represented some of the oldest buildings in the city. By the 1890s, these houses had become home to St. Francis Xavier's Church, the first Catholic Church for African Americans in the country. Other important Black institutions located in the neighborhood included Bethel Church, the Baltimore Manual Training School, and Bowie State University.
Subscription rates for the Ledger
"The plan of the city to clear the east side of St. Paul street out to Centre and thence back along the west side of St. Paul street, carries with it the destruction of properties well known to Baltimoreans. The 500 block of St. Paul street was a sort of aristocratic neighborhood for colored people over a quarter of a century ago."